Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Seeking Disconfirming Evidence

I need to do this more and this was an eye-opener for me!

Kida's main point was:
"Whatever your belief, find disconfirming evidence, and take that into consideration, because we really on confirming evidence far too much because it is easier for our brains to process"


I've had this belief that gay people for whatever reason end up institutionalized in state hospitals because they cannot manage to make it in this world. My confirming evidences are various people I know that have gone into these places for long term periods. However, perhaps there are successful case as well that don't come to mind because of my bias. David Geffen is a successful example. Am I focusing too much on the outliers?

Pages 164-5 in Chapter 8 "Seeking to Confirm" is where Kida deals with these issues most "Don't Believe Everything You Think."

No comments: