Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Current Status

Initially, I though this blog would cover my experiences playing Robert Kiyosaki's Cashflow 101 boardgame. I've played about 20 games since last August, and it might be too much to try and recount all of it. Let me try and bring readers up to speed with the relevant and important points.

I think I stumbled upon Rich Dad Poor Dad in 1999 at Borders. I ordered the game a year or two later and played with my Mom once or twice, but she wasn't that interested. The game sat unused for a number of years. I went away to Boston after 9/11 and got an Associate of Arts.

In mid-2006, LL posted on craigslist asking for Cashflow 101 players, and I responded right away. We met at the library a few days later and would continue to meet weekly. Because he was still trying to recruit other players, and I wasn't sure I could make all his desired gametimes, I offered to let him keep the game so that he could have on hand should there be a game I couldn't attend. Getting the game to LL took some back and forth. He never called me and it all had to be arranged through email. When I met him at the library and saw his layers of Walmart plastic bags, I put two and two together. I asked if he was homeless, which he confirmed. Since this time, LL has stored the game in his storage locker, which he visits morning and evening to get the appropriate items for daytime or nighttime homeless life.

I am frustrated with LLs procrastination, as well as my own. I see much of myself in him, which scares me. I started this blog in October, and he was talking about startin one way before that. In fact, LL is the one who gave me the idea in the first place. LL is still "studying" magazine articles on blogging and a book called Blogwild, for small business blogging.

Every so often, we will meet several times in one week for games, as we did last week. I especially went for this after LL read the letter from Robert included in the game saying that getting out of the rat race in under an hour three times in a row is a good benchmark to shoot for. This was something specific and measurable to shoot for. Specific and measurable is criteria frequently cited as very necessary for success in goal-setting and project management literature. After playing every week with no progress in the real world, I started to press LL about where we were going, and he did finally say that we should be playing less than once weekly by the end of 2007, and spending more time on application. When LL found Robert's letter with the getting out of the rat race 3x in a row in under an hour recommendation, it made it much less vague, and me more satisfied.

I have been able to get out of the rat race (GORR) in under an hour two times in a row. Then, I broke the cycle and had to start again. I was able to GORR an additional time in under an hour before the next game which took more than an hour. So I'm at the very beginning again.

Right now, I just want to avoid LL. I sense so many hypocrisies in him and it's driving me nuts. We had some arguments which I might try documenting later and were practically flaming each other on the email. I've been told by friends before and LL himself, that I'm way too sensitive about these things. It's true that LL thinks arguing is "fun" and he's always "joking" because he thinks I'm "hillarious."

No comments: