Monday, July 14, 2008

Fear of Failure Example


Nathan is describing a self-segregated elite coterie of Hollywood stars gathering separately from the many others present at Coppola's San Francisco house party for Akira Kurosawa.  Nathan wasn't initially part of this group until he got an "in" from Kurosawa due to their earlier conversation in the evening and his Japanese language ability. 

"Nothing came of the time I spent that evening in easy badinage with that celebrated company.  More properly, I never turned it into an opportunity, as each of them might well have done.  Was I afraid of failing in spite of efforts to succeed?  Or was it success itself that caused me to withdraw whenever it was visibly close at hand?  I suspect the latter was, continues to be, closer to the truth."  (p 209)

No comments: