Saturday, July 19, 2008

Hojoki 方丈記

Various books and magazines on small spaces and simplicity have referred to a 12th century essay--An Account of my Hut or The Ten Foot Square Hut. I was finally able to locate a translation to read! It is very short and readable in one sitting.

My question: is this really only ten square feet? That would mean dimensions of 5 feet by 2 feet--like a one person hiking tent! I think 100 square feet is more likely--a ten foot by ten foot square, as Kamo no Chomei describes space for a small Buddhist altar, and a writing table. My bedroom is 10' x 8' or 80 square feet--containing a twin sized bed and small desk and chair.

The hermit-crab chooses a small shell and that is because he well knows the needs of his own body. The fishing-eagle chooses a rough beach because he does not want man's competition. Just as am I. If one knows himself and knows what the world is he will merely wish for quiet and be pleased when he has nothing to grieve about, wanting nothing and caring for nobody.


"The Ten Foot Square Hut" Hojoki 方丈記, attributed to Kamo no ChomeiKamo no Chomei translated by A.L. Sadler.

No comments: